COPYCAT CHICK-FIL-A COOKIES

photo(53)I am an addict.

I love Chick-Fil-A chocolate chunk cookies.  I can attribute at least 5 pounds on my hips totally to these circles of deliciousness.

That being said, I am a frugal gal who hates to throw down just over a dollar every time my craving wins out.  So what did I do?  I scoured the web along with the Chick-Fil-A ingredient list and tried to come up with an equally delicious cookie.

I think my experiment was a S.U.C.C.E.S.S!  (The house full of teenagers that come to bible study at my house on Wednesday nights agreed.  Three of them actually work at Chick-Fil-A!!)

When digging around online I came across two blogs that have also attempted a copy cat.  Check them out here and here.  I tried both and they were pretty good! The recipe I landed on is a little different than theirs.  After WAY too many batches, I think it is as close as I am going to get without hacking into someone’s computer system!  (No…of course that thought never entered my mind…..)

Stop by and let me know what you think!

Here is the Recipe:  (Step by Step Pictures are below)

2 1/2 Cups All-Purpose Flour

1/2 Cup Quick Oats

1 tsp. Baking Powder

1/2 tsp. Baking Soda

1 1/3 C Dark brown sugar

1/3 C Sugar

1/2 C Crisco or Lard

8 TBS Butter at room temperature (NOT Margarine)

3 TBS Honey or Corn Syrup

2 tsp. Vanilla

2 eggs (at room temperature!!!!!)

1 1/2 cups semi-sweet Chocolate Chunks

1/2 cup milk chocolate chips

photo(50)

Mix the flour, oats, baking powder and baking soda

photo(48)

In a different bowl combine the dark brown sugar, sugar, crisco, butter, honey (or corn syrup) and vanilla

photo(51)

photo(54)

Add room temperature eggs.  This helps the cookies to rise better than using cold eggs.   You also want to wait to add the eggs after your have beat your other wet ingredients so the eggs don’t get over beaten.  This keeps the cookies from getting too dense or tough.  (I know…seems tedious but amazing cookies are in the details!)

Incorporate the dry ingredients and the chocolate.  Don’t over mix, just until all the flour is mixed in.

photo(52)

Use a BIG FAT Ice Cream scoop and dish out on your cookie sheet.

Bake at 350 for 8-11 minutes.  You want to pull them out when you just start to see browning on the edges.

Let cool…….If you can wait :)

About these ads

85 Comments (+add yours?)

1. Debbie
    Jul 13, 2013 @ 21:30:03

Can’t wait to try these! Thanks for your hard work and “sacrifice” testing recipes and ingredients!

2. Tiffany
    Jul 17, 2013 @ 22:21:38

I had the Chick-Fil-A cookie for the first time yesterday, and went back for another one today… I am an addict now too! It’s so exciting to see that you have created your own version. I can’t wait to try it out!

3. Samuel
    Jul 23, 2013 @ 23:42:53

I just recently discovered these god-send cookies and I am totally addicted now. I’m so excited to try this recipe as the ones shown in your pictures look almost EXACTLY like the ones I get from Chic-fila-a. Thank you for your contribution!

4. Laura
    Jul 24, 2013 @ 01:57:26

Made these today and they taste amazing! Mine had to cook for about 18-20 min though and I may try adding more oats the next time I make them….which will be soon since my family loved them! Thanks for sharing your recipe!!

5. Pattie
    Jul 27, 2013 @ 23:51:29

I noticed that the recipe doesn’t call for salt. Is there a reason why you didn’t add it?

• christykennard
      Jul 28, 2013 @ 03:44:13

I tried it with and without salt and didn’t think it added to the flavor. Try it with a teaspoon and let me know what you think :)

• Gail Bockay Holcomb
        Nov 13, 2013 @ 00:57:23

I find that if you use butter that has salt, you really don’t need to add extra salt. I normally use unsalted butter when baking so I can adjust the salt to our taste. Can’t wait to try these!

6. twoboysandaladyadmin
    Aug 08, 2013 @ 23:23:18

Just made a batch fresh outta the oven! Pretty spot on! I didn’t add the semi sweet chocolate and if I had I know they’d be perfect! Thank you!

7. twoboysandaladyadmin
    Aug 08, 2013 @ 23:23:52

Just pulled them out of the oven, delicious! They were spot on!

8. Renee
    Aug 31, 2013 @ 15:16:37

I followed recipe exactly. They taste great but they got too flat. I tried adding a little more oatmeal and chilling the dough but it didn’t matter. Does it matter if you use bake vs convection?

• christykennard
      Sep 01, 2013 @ 20:43:31

I haven’t used a convection oven for this recipe, so I am not sure if it would make a difference. One time I made them and I used a store brand shortening and they flattened out quite a bit. I went back to using crisco and haven’t had the problem again. Make sure that you are using real butter and not margarine sticks, that will make a big difference as well. If that doesn’t help, add a little flour. Let me know if they turn out better next time! :)

9. April
    Sep 14, 2013 @ 03:11:41

I just made these! Fantastic ! I Added 1/4c more oats, 2T honey, 1T corn syrup. I used a large cookie scoop to portion out dough. Baked 12-14 minute. PERFECT

10. Amanda
    Sep 16, 2013 @ 14:14:20

Thanks so much for posting this! I am going to try them today. Did you experiment with adding a bit (1/2 tsp) of cream of tartar to the dry batter? I have heard that it makes the cookies “crack” a little on top, creating a more attractive cookie.

• christykennard
      Sep 16, 2013 @ 14:19:58

I have never tried that. Sounds interesting! Baking powder is a combination of baking soda, cornstarch and cream of tarter so that makes sense. Let me know how they turn out.

11. Amanda
    Sep 19, 2013 @ 16:03:44

Absolutely delicious! Everyone loved them. Thanks so much for posting – I’ve been looking for a recipe like this for a long time.

12. deborahnicole
    Sep 21, 2013 @ 16:01:59

I forgot to cool before baking so of course they were flat, took 6 cookies 15 min to bake @my ovens 350. Added 1/4 c. Oats and used 1 1/2 c. Milk choc chips. Didn’t have chunks, could not wait! Found first batch to be very oily next time will halve the lard called for. (Added 1/4 c flour into remaining dough and chilled, came out better. still weren’t very thick, looking for some more height. Still great tasting, Thanks!

• christykennard
      Sep 21, 2013 @ 19:37:01

I had a problem with mine being oily once. Went back to crisco rather than the store brand and it solved the problem. Another solution is to substitute part of the shortening for real butter. Enjoy!!

13. Heather
    Sep 21, 2013 @ 22:04:17

I just made these and they are perfect – they weren’t flat (which my cookies always end up being kind of flat, much to my dismay) and tasted GREAT!!!

14. jesse
    Sep 26, 2013 @ 17:38:05

The recipe looks amazing, so much so that I’m about to leave and go buy the needed ingredients!!!! I’ve had theirs the past 2 days, they are soo good.

But I was wondering if you tried different types of flower out? I know they use white lily for the biscuits, so I was wondering if you tried out different types, but I’m gonna go with what you listed right now. Thanks!

• christykennard
      Sep 27, 2013 @ 12:11:15

I haven’t tried anything other than all-purpose flour. I have another cookie recipe that calls for cake flour and it is amazing. If you try it, come back and let me know how it turned out!

15. connie
    Sep 27, 2013 @ 00:28:31

will adding nuts be ok for this recipe

16. Marilyn
    Oct 16, 2013 @ 16:52:38

Have you tried freezing the dough? I would like to be able to freeze and eat a freshly baked cooking anytime!!

• christykennard
      Oct 18, 2013 @ 00:05:56

I haven’t tried to freeze this particular dough but I have others. The best way to do it is to form your cookies into balls. Then freeze on a cookie sheet so they don’t stick together. Once frozen put in a ziplock bag. When you go to cook them don’t thaw them. Just add a minute or two to the cooking time. This will keep the cookies from getting too flat. Let me know how they turn out for you!

17. Marilyn
    Oct 27, 2013 @ 18:28:20

Well, I made the cookies yesterday and only baked 6 for my husband and I. I froze the rest in spoonfuls and put them in a ziplock Baggie and today I fixed only 3, they tasted as good as the freshly made ones, couldn’t tell the difference. I think this might be my new way of baking for two, btw the recipe was terrific.

• christykennard
      Oct 27, 2013 @ 19:25:28

Awesome!! I am so glad they froze well. We have a family of 7 so cookies don’t last long around here. Maybe if I froze the dough I could force a little self control and not eat so many…… :)

18. Lindsay
    Nov 03, 2013 @ 09:30:06

I am trying these tomorrow! About how many cookies did you get from one batch? Thanks so much!

19. thegibsongang
    Nov 05, 2013 @ 15:41:11

Do you let them “rest” on the cookie sheet before removing to cool? Or do you just take them right off and put on cooling racks?

20. Sondra Davis
    Dec 05, 2013 @ 19:02:18

My 16 yo came across your recipe and as she is an Chic Fil A cookie addict had to make them. Let me tell you, your recipe was Divine!!!! I made myself sick eating them especially fresh from the oven. Enjoy!

21. Kegs
    Dec 07, 2013 @ 16:30:35

I have been baking cookies for years and have perfected the chocolate chip cookie but have not tried the oatmeal chocolate chip cookie yet but I am addicted to Chick-Fila’s! I am baking it today….can’t wait! Thanks for sharing!!

22. Lindsey
    Dec 09, 2013 @ 12:55:55

Help! I did every single thing to the T and my cookies went flat. The bigger I made my scoop the bigger and flatter they got. I use room temp butter and eggs and used real butter too. They taste SOOOOO good but where’s my “beefy” cookie?!

• christykennard
      Dec 09, 2013 @ 14:48:59

I am so sorry!! The only time that happened to me was when I used an off brand of shortening. I am normally not picky about brands but it has to be Crisco for this recipe.

23. Joy Egee
    Dec 11, 2013 @ 02:42:36

I made these tonight. They are SO GOOD. My boys loved them! This one’s a keeper!

24. Dusty Crabtree - Author of Shadow Eyes
    Dec 17, 2013 @ 03:50:38

I always tell people Chick fil a cookies are the best cookies in the world!!! I just had my first taste of this recipe and they are amazing! Thank you! The only change I made was using semi-sweet chips in place of the milk chocolate chips because I already had them, but I figured it was only 1/2 cup. Thanks for the tip on the eggs too – I never knew that!

25. SN (@wsno)
    Jan 11, 2014 @ 15:48:36

From the Chick-fil-a website:
    “They have both semi-sweet dark and milk chocolate chunks”
    I don’t see that exactly in this recipe. Why the slight change?

26. Daphnee C
    Jan 15, 2014 @ 20:01:01

Absoloutely LOVEEEEEEEEEEEE this recipe. I switched the honey out for molasses and used sweeted butter and these were chick fila cookies. Now if i can make them stay soft without microwaving them for 30 secs!! lol.

27. kelsey
    Jan 18, 2014 @ 01:13:14

By vanilla do you mean vanilla extract? Just checking!

28. Amelia
    Jan 22, 2014 @ 02:57:05

Do you grind the 1/2 cup of oats in the food processor before mixing with the other dry ingredients?

29. Tysha
    Jan 31, 2014 @ 13:28:09

Do the oats give the cookie an oatmeal taste or is it undetectable and you just have a classic chocolate chip cookie taste?

30. Kim
    Feb 01, 2014 @ 17:21:01

Amazing!!! I’ve made them twice! Both times I’ve substituted coconut oil (I don’t use shortening) Fabulous! I added walnuts too- best cookies I’ve EVER made. This will be my only chocolate chip cookie recipe. Thanks again!

31. Shannon
    Feb 02, 2014 @ 19:03:32

These were good, but the only thing I felt was missing was salt!

32. Trackback: Three Copycat Chic Fil A Recipes - Make A Complete Meal At Home! | My Blog
  33. Jim Hunnewell
    Feb 21, 2014 @ 03:59:03

Thank you Christy for all of your hard work. Your step by step instructions are wonderful, especially for amateur cooks like me. I’m looking forward to trying your recipe tomorrow, it will be a belated Valentines gift for my wife who is a true chocolate lover. May the Lord truly bless you and your family!!!

34. Kay
    Feb 27, 2014 @ 16:52:40

Should it be 1 and 1/2 cups of oats? It says 1/2 cupS.

35. Melissa
    Mar 04, 2014 @ 19:41:21

Can I chill these in the fridge before cooking them if I need to say take a nap?

36. Carla in Houston (@CarlaINHouston)
    Mar 16, 2014 @ 02:07:40

These were wonderful! We made them tonight and loved them! Definitely using it again!

37. jess
    Apr 04, 2014 @ 01:27:24

these are the best coookies I have EVER made
    thank you SOO much!

38. Alexia Flow
    Apr 08, 2014 @ 06:28:52

Did you have to cream the sugar with the butter and crisco? Also, when you add the eggs did you hand mix or used the mixer? Lastly, when you added the dry ingredients did you use a mixer. So sorry I want these to come out perfect and don’t have much experience on baking -_-

• christykennard
      Apr 08, 2014 @ 12:37:22

The key to these cookies is not to over mix. When you mix the brown sugar, sugar, crisco, butter and vanilla just mix it until it is blended. Keep the speed low. I use the mixer to add the eggs but again, mix just enough to blend them. I used the mixer for the dry ingredients too. Keep the mixer on medium speed and as soon as all the dry ingredients are mixed in stop. Enjoy!!!!!

39. Alexia Flow
    Apr 09, 2014 @ 00:01:07

They came out AMAZING!!!! THANK YOU!!!!

40. Trackback: Copycat Chick-fil-A Chocolate Chip Cookies | om&nom
  41. Anna Wright
    May 07, 2014 @ 15:27:44

Hello, my name is Anna and I am a Chick-Fil-A chocolate chip cookie addict!!! I have to admit that I am an enabler and have bought these for friends and now they are addicts! Lol….Thank you for this recipe! !!! I will be trying them this weekend! Woohoo!

42. Abe
    May 24, 2014 @ 02:25:35

What, if anything, would I do differently if I baked these on a baking stone?

43. Abe
    May 24, 2014 @ 03:12:59

Also, I have been told that because we are in Utah and at a higher altitude, it is best to use no baking soda. Is there any truth to this?

• christykennard
      May 24, 2014 @ 03:21:47

I am a Texas gal so I am not an expert. I have read that if you are more than 3000 feet above sea level, you should reduce your baking soda by 1/8 tsp. Try it and let me know how they turn out!

44. Emily
    Jul 21, 2014 @ 21:25:27

Do I need to let the dough cool before baking or can I go straight from mixing to the oven? I don’t want flat cookies.

45. Emily
    Jul 21, 2014 @ 21:29:55

Crisco it is then, straight from the boss. Thanks!! I’m making them after work this evening and i’m so excited.

46. Emily
    Jul 22, 2014 @ 00:59:41

They taste really good but they did flatten out more than I thought they would. But they’re a large size so it’s easy to overlook. Thanks again for the great recipe!!