COPYCAT CHICK-FIL-A COOKIES

photo(53)I am an addict.

I love Chick-Fil-A chocolate chunk cookies.  I can attribute at least 5 pounds on my hips totally to these circles of deliciousness.

That being said, I am a frugal gal who hates to throw down just over a dollar every time my craving wins out.  So what did I do?  I scoured the web along with the Chick-Fil-A ingredient list and tried to come up with an equally delicious cookie.

I think my experiment was a S.U.C.C.E.S.S!  (The house full of teenagers that come to bible study at my house on Wednesday nights agreed.  Three of them actually work at Chick-Fil-A!!)

When digging around online I came across two blogs that have also attempted a copy cat.  Check them out here and here.  I tried both and they were pretty good! The recipe I landed on is a little different than theirs.  After WAY too many batches, I think it is as close as I am going to get without hacking into someone’s computer system!  (No…of course that thought never entered my mind…..)

Stop by and let me know what you think!

Here is the Recipe:  (Step by Step Pictures are below)

2 1/2 Cups All-Purpose Flour

1/2 Cup Quick Oats

1 tsp. Baking Powder

1/2 tsp. Baking Soda

1 1/3 C Dark brown sugar

1/3 C Sugar

1/2 C Crisco or Lard

8 TBS Butter at room temperature (NOT Margarine)

3 TBS Honey or Corn Syrup

2 tsp. Vanilla

2 eggs (at room temperature!!!!!)

1 1/2 cups semi-sweet Chocolate Chunks

1/2 cup milk chocolate chips

photo(50)

Mix the flour, oats, baking powder and baking soda

photo(48)

In a different bowl combine the dark brown sugar, sugar, crisco, butter, honey (or corn syrup) and vanilla

photo(51)

photo(54)

Add room temperature eggs.  This helps the cookies to rise better than using cold eggs.   You also want to wait to add the eggs after your have beat your other wet ingredients so the eggs don’t get over beaten.  This keeps the cookies from getting too dense or tough.  (I know…seems tedious but amazing cookies are in the details!)

Incorporate the dry ingredients and the chocolate.  Don’t over mix, just until all the flour is mixed in.

photo(52)

Use a BIG FAT Ice Cream scoop and dish out on your cookie sheet.

Bake at 350 for 8-11 minutes.  You want to pull them out when you just start to see browning on the edges.

Let cool…….If you can wait🙂

134 Comments (+add yours?)

1. Tara Mason
    Oct 08, 2014 @ 23:06:57

Did you use the honey or corn syrup in the batches you make?

2. 1titantyler
    Nov 01, 2014 @ 18:11:55

1/4 cup of cream cheese added to any cookie recipe will keep them moist as well

3. 1titantyler
    Nov 01, 2014 @ 18:13:07

1/4 c of cream cheese will keep cookies moist just add it to n e recipe

4. perry
    Nov 16, 2014 @ 23:44:54

mine didn’t come out thick but flat

5. Lauren
    Nov 17, 2014 @ 02:04:38

I have an unhealthy addiction to the Chick-fil-A cookies and stumbled across your recipe. I must say – I’ve never been able to make a chewey, soft cookie…until today! They are delicious, though there is one slightly “different” flavor that I can’t put my finger on. It’s not bad – just different. Maybe the honey? Either way, this recipe will be my go-to from now on. Thanks!

6. Pascha
    Jan 07, 2015 @ 11:10:38

My cookies turned out flat with an overwhelming taste of honey. I was very disappointed. My husband loves Chic-fil-A cookies, but these didn’t even taste like them. Does using Crisco over store brand really make that much of a difference?

• christykennard
      Jan 08, 2015 @ 04:39:54

I know it sounds crazy but the two times I didn’t use Crisco, my cookies were flat as pancakes. If it taste too much like honey, try using corn syrup instead.

• Meghan
        Jan 10, 2016 @ 19:36:37

I did indeed use Crisco brand shortening, but mine still turned out very flat.. Still delicious, but I’m not sure what happened..:-/

• christykennard
        Jan 10, 2016 @ 21:20:57

Maybe you over mixed it. Sometimes that can also lead to a flat cookie. I make sure the sugar and butter are beat well, but mix just enough on the rest of the ingredients to incorporate. If you try again, let me know if that helps!

7. Krista
    Jan 22, 2015 @ 18:09:21

I felt it needed more oats and less honey. The honey leaves an aftertaste. I love chocolate however I think next time I’d use less. Maybe with more oats it won’t seem to over power everything. Great recipe. Thank you.

• christykennard
      Feb 01, 2015 @ 17:33:19

If the honey flavor is too much, try using corn syrup instead. You can add more oats if you prefer the texture.

• Stacy
        Feb 08, 2015 @ 22:18:28

Chick film’s cookies have molasses in them, not honey. In going to try this recipe today with that change!

• christykennard
        Feb 09, 2015 @ 04:59:49

You are correct! Brown sugar is made from molasses and sugar so your getting that molasses flavor with the dark brown sugar. The purpose of the honey or corn syrup is to keep the cookies chewy. Try substituting with molasses and let me know what you think!

8. Ginny
    Jan 23, 2015 @ 21:57:29

Can’t wait to bake these

9. Ginny
    Jan 23, 2015 @ 21:59:12

Can’t wait to bake these I’ll contact you when I taste them.

10. Amy
    Feb 01, 2015 @ 17:06:53

Hi! I’m so excites to try this recipe! I love the CF cookies!!! I was wondering if the cookie sheet needs to be greased or ungreased.

11. Amy
    Feb 01, 2015 @ 17:12:40

I’m so excited to try this recipe! I love CF cookies!!! I was wondering if the cookie sheet should be greased or ungreased?

• christykennard
      Feb 01, 2015 @ 17:32:02

I always use my clay baking sheets, I’ve never used anything different. I would recommend a dark cookie sheet rather than a silver one but greasing it is a good idea. Let me know how they turn out!

12. erinmariesor
    Feb 04, 2015 @ 14:51:28

So I couldn’t find the corn syrup in the grocery store and didn’t have time to search, so low and behold, Agave. No aftertaste. I put two eggs in a drinking glass to warm them up. I don’t know if Crisco is the key but I use it for all my baking. One tip for “flat cookies”. I mixed all my wet ingredients except for the eggs. I always cream the sugar and shortening really well. That’s something most people don’t do. I put in an extra 1/4 c oats and in the wet 2 TBS water to compensate. Another trick to baking is that once I combined my wet ingredients I put the baking powder and soda in. This distributes leavening better than putting in flour and sifting. I put the eggs in last mixed by hand, dumped dry in. Hand mixed it. Put in semisweet chocolate chips to my chocolate liking and BAM. Perfect cookies Chick Fil A tasting at its best. Thanks for the recipe!!!

13. Rick Ross
    Feb 16, 2015 @ 01:49:57

Did everything that erinmariesor said to do. Used Snow Cap lard and Wholesome Sweetners raw blue agave instead of honey or corn syrup. They turned out awesome.

14. weshampton
    Feb 20, 2015 @ 20:12:24

The only change I would make us to add a pinch of kosher salt and take the vanilla up to 1 tablespoon. Great recipe!

15. Nancy
    Feb 22, 2015 @ 22:00:47

These are the best cookies that I have made. I used corn syrup, and off brand Crisco. i didn’t have a big ice cream scoop, I used my small cookie scoop. The cookies were small but I got more out of my batch 58 in all. My husband and my three sons loved them.

16. debdotolo
    Feb 26, 2015 @ 21:22:41

How many does this make?

17. Lori M
    Jul 07, 2015 @ 21:00:02

These are amazing. Tomorrow night I have a gathering where the wife of a Chick-Fil-A is attending….let’s see what she thinks!

18. bill fold
    Jul 28, 2015 @ 15:42:32

No salt needed? Thank you.

19. Trackback: Copycat Chick-Fil-A Chocolate Chip Cookies - om&nom
  20. Amanda
    Dec 21, 2015 @ 13:20:19

I read somewhere that the chick fil a recipe has almonds?

• christykennard
      Jan 10, 2016 @ 21:21:53

Nope. They don’t have any nuts, but I think the addition would be yummy!

• Havolia Walters
        Mar 12, 2016 @ 22:28:04

yes, make your own cookies, I’ve worked in the place that produce the CFA cookies and you’d be shocked at the process and dirtiness, i have photos from inside the plant and they are made by CSM Bakery Solutions in Tucker Ga, they also produce cookies for Arby’s and most fast food restaurants that sell cookies.

21. Suzanne
    Mar 06, 2016 @ 02:40:14

I taste coconut in Chick-Fil-A cookies. Have you tried using either coconut oil or ground up coconut in the recipe. Does anyone else taste the coconut??

22. Jay
    Jun 02, 2016 @ 02:16:46

Mine are never finished at 11 mins, more like 21, and probably could stay longer. But I’m afraid I’ll burn them. They still taste wonderful, but do you think I’m making them too big or doing something else wrong? I’m using an ice cream scoop…

23. Diana
    Jun 08, 2016 @ 19:37:15

Just an FYI. I used Aldi brand vegetable shortening and my cookies turned out perfect. I followed the directions to the T. That was the only thing I changed.
    Excellent recipe. Thank you so much!

24. Jene'
    Jun 10, 2016 @ 19:19:03

I see you added eggs but I didn’t see eggs in your list of ingredients. How many did you use?

25. Kim Schaus
    Jul 06, 2016 @ 04:25:40

Would agave syrup work in place of the honey or corn syrup?