HOME MADE BODY WASH

I have read numerous blogs about making my own body wash.  I have tried many of them.  I hated most of them.  They require me to babysit a pot of water while I patiently wait for a bar of soap to melt.  Then they turn out slimy and don’t make any suds.

Here is the deal.  I totally understand that liquid body wash is a luxury and a bar of soap is sufficient to get me clean.  I am a spoiled! I love the lathery loofa filled with bubbles.   The downside to this is that I am a frugal mama who HATES tossing $4-$6 for a bottle of the stuff.  So I went on an adventure, and used many bottles of slimy homemade body wash before I came up with a pretty fantastic recipe to make it.  And the absolute best part is that it requires NO cooking, and NO grating soap!

A while back I posted about how to turn bar soap into liquid.  Make sure you check that out since you will need some of this in order to make this body wash.

photo(6)

For this particular bottle of soap I used Kirks Castile Soap.  It is an all natural soap that feels GREAT on your skin.

photo(9) Here is what you need:

1 bar of your favorite bar soap.  (Turned into liquid)

2 tsp. Dawn Soap

photo(10) photo(7)

Dump your liquid soap into a bowl and add Dawn Soap.  Whip it until it is fully incorporated.

photo(11)

Pour into an empty bottle.  (This recipe makes about 18 ounces of body wash.)

That is it……..seriously!

photo(8) photo(12)

With just a little amount, you will have tons of FRUGALTASTIC suds!!!  (This recipe cost about $1.45.)

Advertisements

10 Comments (+add yours?)

1. Jamie Mosley
    Aug 04, 2013 @ 17:55:55

Does it have to be Dawn or can it be another of your favorite Dish soaps that is name brand? I use Gain and it smells amazing? Just curious? Thanks..

2. Kim
    Dec 04, 2013 @ 19:16:49

What is the reason for adding the dish soap?

• christykennard
      Dec 04, 2013 @ 19:57:08

The biggest complaint people have with homemade body wash is that it doesn’t produce any suds. That is the sole purpose of the dish soap. You can omit it, but your soap will not be ‘sudsy’.

3. Liz
    Dec 29, 2013 @ 04:17:24

I just made this with a 7oz bar (vanilla & lavender). I had to add water to mine and us my mixer bacause it was so thick. I ended up with approx. 60 oz of awesome sudsy body wash. I also added a little grapeseed oil for softer skin. Thanks so much for the recipe. Cost me a total of $1.25 to make much cheaper than my $6.00 body wash.

4. Nikki
    Feb 18, 2015 @ 00:23:36

I wish this involved something besides dish soap. A main reason for making my own house hold products is to avoid unnatural and harsh ingredients. Have you tried this recipe with Castile liquid soap?

• christykennard
      Feb 26, 2015 @ 22:29:47

Yes! The soap works fine but does not make any suds.

• Dani
      Jul 09, 2016 @ 02:06:03

To get more suds out of castile soap, there are a few things you can do. First, you can reduce the pH a little by adding a little bit of citric acid. You don’t need much at all to reduce the pH. What this does is to help soften the water so the suds form much easier. Also, sugar enhances castile soap’s bubbles, so adding some honey (which will also help preserve the soap and add a humectant) will help. Lastly, some glycerin will help as well. And I believe I heard that a little salt will also help castile soap to suds up more but I haven’t tried that one. But the best thing to do is to use a foaming soap dispenser. You can find lots of these dispensers at the dollar store. Just dump the soap out (usually harsh…I leave it for using to wash the cars) and use the dispenser. You will have luxurious lather by using this foaming pump. Another thing the foaming pump will help with is to cost you less in liquid soap as it literally only takes a couple Tbsps of liquid soap with the rest being water (you can use brewed tea, floral water, or just plain DISTILLED water). Very, very economical. 🙂

5. Melinda
    Jul 25, 2015 @ 02:14:41

This would be a great way to use up hotel soaps as well.