Copycat Pillsbury Crescent Rolls

Crescent rolls are delicious!  I have used them to make so many different things that they have become a staple around here.  But, I just can’t bring myself to purchase the cans despite the efforts of the adorable dough boy.

Here is a frugaltastic copycat: (This recipe is equal to 2 cans of Pillsbury crescent rolls)

1/3 Cup lukewarm Water

2/3 cup lukewarm milk

1/3 cup softened butter

1/3 cup sugar

1/2 tsp salt

2 tsp active dry yeast

3 1/3 cup flour

2-3 Tablespoons of butter to rub on top when they are done (optional…but yummy!)

20130625-080859.jpg

Dump all your dry ingredients into the bread machine first.  Then pour in your water, milk and butter.

20130625-080915.jpg Beat your eggs well and then pour on top.  Set the bread machine on the dough cycle and let it do its magic!  (If you don’t have a bread machine, just knead the dough for about 10 minutes and let rise in a draft free, warm place for about 45 minutes.)

20130625-080024.jpgWhen your dough is ready, split it in two balls and lay it on a floured surface.

20130625-080041.jpgRoll each half out into a large circle.

20130625-080107.jpgUse a pizza cutter to make triangles.

20130625-080119.jpg

Roll them up and put them on a baking sheet.  Let rise in a draft free place for about 30 minutes.

20130625-081214.jpgBake at 350 for 10-12 minutes.  Use your butter to rub across the top of each roll for an extra buttery taste!

Advertisements

12 Comments (+add yours?)

1. Jeni
    Feb 02, 2014 @ 17:14:47

How many eggs??? You didn’t list it in the ingredients. Also, my bread machine says that the liquids need to go in first. Is it better to follow your recipe order of ingredients or just stick with the bread machine instructions? thanks.

• christykennard
      Feb 02, 2014 @ 18:58:45

Wow! Thanks for pointing that out! 2 eggs. My bread machine says to put the wet ingredients first as well. Try it both ways and see what you think. In my experience, when I use more than 3 cups of flour, it doesn’t always incorporate all the flour very well. It could be just my machine.

• Jeni
        Feb 02, 2014 @ 19:37:09

Thanks!!! I guessed 2 so I’m glad I was right. I put it in according to the bread machine instructions and it worked perfectly!

• Robyn Van Eck
        Sep 20, 2014 @ 03:46:55

I used this recipe for freshly-ground einkorn crescent rolls – YUM!!! Had to add a bunch extra einkorn to make up for the different in the wheats, so it ended up being the equivalent of 3 packages of rolls – all the better! 🙂 The whole family loved it! But quick question – could you edit the recipe itself to mention the eggs? I keep missing them for my ingredient “do I have everything?” checklist. 🙂

2. Alice
    Jun 11, 2014 @ 02:32:40

This sounds great! Is the dough freezable? Or I have to bake right away?

3. Tracy
    Aug 22, 2014 @ 23:30:19

Have you used this for other recipes that call for crescent rolls?

4. Janne
    Oct 17, 2014 @ 20:09:51

I was wondering if I would be able to stuff these like the canned rolls. Maybe I could fill them, roll them, and then let them rise? 🙂

5. Melissa
    Jan 05, 2015 @ 05:53:50

What is your suggestion for how long this would keep in the fridge before baking? I tend to run low on time a lot so would probably make a double or triple batch that I could use throughout the week (or longer if possible) rather than freezing, as I am also bad for forgetting to take things out of the freezer in the am for dinner lol.