Chicken and Noodles over Mashed Potatoes

This is a wonderful recipe my mother used to make in the winter time.  I always loved it and now my kiddos LOVE it.  It’s thick and creamy and can be served alone or on a bed of mashed potatoes.   It’s the ultimate comfort food and high in carbs but your family will feel the love. This recipe makes a boatload and freezes like a dream.  In fact, when you decide to eat the rest of it up, you can always add some extra chicken stock and just have it as Chicken Noodle Soup!  It is best made with homemade noodles, but I’ve found Reames Homestyle egg noodles work great.  Perfect for a cold winter night:)

20131030-192451.jpg

3 cups shredded chicken or turkey
2 cans of cream of chicken soup
2-32oz boxes of chicken stock or broth or homemade is even better!
1 tsp poultry seasoning
1 tsp onion powder
Reames Homestyle Egg Noodles (found in the freezer section)
Potatoes for mash potatoes
20131030-190023.jpg

Mix all ingredients except chicken/turkey. When combined completely add poultry.  Bring to a boil and add the noodles a handful at a time until they are all in the pot! After cooking there should be VERY little broth.  You want it thick.  Sorry, I forgot to take a picture with the chicken and noodles. 😦

20131030-190446.jpg

Ladle your noodles over a bed of mashed potatoes and eat your heart out.  If you don’t have a great mashed potato recipe, here is a great one from my frugal gal Loaded Mashed Potatoes20131030-190459.jpg

So delicious!

Advertisements

28 Comments (+add yours?)

1. Anita Garvert
    Dec 23, 2013 @ 00:31:56

This recipe is delicious. A very warm meal on a cold day. We didn’t have the noodles and substituted Essenhaus Extra Wide Home-Made noodles (dried) – we dumped the entire package of dried noodles into the broth mixture and simmered for 20 minutes. Add a bit of salt & pepper (to taste) – wonderful flavor and great consistency over potatoes.

2. Derek
    Feb 03, 2014 @ 00:23:12

How many bags of noodles did you use, just one?

3. Leslie
    Mar 12, 2014 @ 16:36:12

This might be a dumb question but does the chicken need to be cooked first?

• dianekm1
      Mar 12, 2014 @ 17:30:05

Yes, cook the chicken or turkey first! I’ve also used a whole cooked chicken as well and it was super good!

4. Hannah
    Apr 15, 2014 @ 21:24:36

We don’t have poultry seasoning in New Zealand, at least I don’t think we do, is there anything else you could use?

• dianekm1
      Apr 15, 2014 @ 21:53:31

My poultry seasoning bottle says it includes: sage, thyme, rosemary, marjoram, black pepper, and nutmeg. My nose says that sage is the main ingredient.

So, I would say sage and thyme definitely. Salt and pepper, of course:)

5. Cathy
    Apr 23, 2014 @ 12:50:08

How many servings does this recipe make?

6. Britt
    May 12, 2014 @ 22:25:17

What makes it get thicker?

7. Kelli Dowdell
    Sep 29, 2014 @ 20:47:58

Canned Chicken Breast works awesome too, I buy mine at Walmart it’s 2 cans with a wrapper around it, I forget how much it costs. But I typically use 1 can, I just break it up finer than what is in the can, and I use the juice in my water with my noodles 🙂 If I’m making a lot I use the 2nd cans juice in my mashed potato water 🙂 I also add chicken Bullion cubes to both the chicken and noodles and the mashed potato water. I also use the same noodles from the Frozen food section, but if I don’t have any then I use Egg noodles, I am actually making this tonight and just my luck I had neither style of noodle, so I’m making it with the spiral noodles – hopefully it’s just as good.

8. Deena
    Nov 12, 2014 @ 01:26:48

Mine was super runny too. I wish it looked like the picture. My noodle were swimming –I followed the instructions. Like the picture (missing), I’m sure there was something left out too. 😦

9. Deena
    Nov 12, 2014 @ 01:35:20

maybe just one 32 oz of stock…?

10. chris
    Nov 17, 2014 @ 00:55:24

I replied to a previous comment, so maybe I’ll get a better response from my own comment, but it cooks for how long and at what stove temp?

11. Amy Hutchison Lurz
    Nov 23, 2014 @ 02:47:05

Around here (rural Nebraska) this is a winter time staple meal! I always do homemade noodles, the flour from them is what thickens my stock perfectly. Homemade noodles are actually really simple & don’t take much time, plus they are just plain good 🙂

• Jessica Lurz-Reha
      Jan 04, 2015 @ 17:47:35

Amy- im from nebraska as well- ainsworth is my home town. Lurz is my maiden name!!! Im really not crafty in the kitchen. Can u tell me how to make ur homemade noodles?

• Amy Hutchison Lurz
        Oct 29, 2015 @ 00:43:11

I am so sorry Jessica Lurz-Reha. I am just seeing your comment now 😦 I just use flour, eggs & ice cold water for my noodles. Not much of a method to them, water is tsp’s until I have the consistency I am looking for. My late husband was the Lurz and his family still resides in the Valentine area. Hope you have good luck with your noodles 🙂

12. jody
    Dec 18, 2014 @ 15:23:23

could this be made in the crockpot… I hope??

13. Amy
    Mar 24, 2015 @ 20:21:47

Just wanted to tell you I stumbled across this recipe on pinterest a few months back and have made it numerous times so many in fact I don’t need to look at the recipe anymore! It’s delicious and so comforting on a cold Indiana day. Most of the time I use homemade egg noodles but if I’m short on time I just get some Amish egg noodles and they are just as good. Thank you so much for allowing me to add this to my family cookbook!

14. misha
    Sep 26, 2015 @ 00:19:05

What size of cream of chicken cans? We have the family size or just the regular size?

15. Adryan
    Oct 15, 2015 @ 19:49:59

Dumb question, but do I thaw out the noodles before adding them?

16. Missy Weisbarth
    Oct 31, 2016 @ 22:47:51

This was awesome! I used penne noodles….. They worked great! Family loved it!

17. Janet McRae